In my experience working with my interior decorating clients, most windows in your home need some type of window treatment. Blinds are an extremely popular and functional choice for most spaces in your home and are sufficient on their own. However, drapery treatments add something special to your design and are worth the investment.
Why You Should Spend The Time and Money
- Fabric draperies help to absorb sound and provide additional choices for light level.
- Perfectly chosen curtains can help to pull all the design elements (wallpaper, paint, furniture) in the room together.
- A fabulous fabric in any room especially on the windows (which are a focal point) adds that pizzazz that you may be missing to your space.
- There is something about curtains chosen with care and coordinated with toss cushions and other accessories that helps your space feel “finished.”
- Any carefully curated space will be elevated to another level of design with fabrics especially custom drapes.
How to Shop for Curtain Fabric
If you have visited a fabric store, you know the choices are endless. This can be a good and a bad thing depending on your level of expertise in choosing just the right fabric for your window treatments. You should have some ideas before visiting the store, so dig around online and pull some inspiration pictures. You will also need a tremendous amount of patience. There are usually hundreds of fabric books available, and you sometimes need to look at a lot of them to find just the right fabric. If you visit a custom drapery shop, their staff can be super helpful in narrowing down which books you should be looking at. Or, your Interior Decorator will definitely help you choose.
Create A Design Plan
Please, I implore you, do not choose your paint color before you choose fabric. Fabric choices are not endless, but you can have any paint color you want. And, if you are purchasing new furniture, create a design plan for all the elements in the space before finalizing and purchasing anything. Be sure to take all your fabric samples and paint colors home to the light in your space. They sometimes look completely different under the store lighting than they do at home.
Consider Hiring an Interior Decorator
If you are totally overwhelmed, hire an interior decorator to assist you. Their expertise can be invaluable in assuring you don’t make a mistake with your choices and that you are completely happy with your space once it’s complete. We can advise you not only on fabrics, paint and furniture but also on lighting, flooring, accessories and more.
If you need help designing and decorating your home in Halifax, Nova Scotia, please reach out to me at 902-229-5263 or firstname.lastname@example.org